I’m now getting a little bit frustrated with my hardware difficulties. Probably not enough to take any major steps, but I’m hoping this all gets sorted out quickly. Today I applied an update which was a new kernel version. I was hoping that resolved some of my other issues but it has not and in fact has made a couple of things worse. After I applied the update and restarted my X server refused to start. Of course I was able to figure out why and correct it – my nVidia drivers no longer match the kernel version so until new drivers are released I need to run the nv driver which doesn’t support a whole lot of anything. So, just to summarize, here are the items currently broken on my machine:
- Second SATA drive won’t come online
- Camera won’t connect
- X Server not configured for nVidia drivers
I’ve researched the first two pretty significantly including filing a bug report on number 2. So far no fixes that I’m aware of other than running an older kernel version.
Sometime (don’t know exactly when) recently my second SATA drive has stopped showing up. There are various bug reports that seem to be related to my issue but not a whole lot of solutions. I’m just hoping a future fix is made that allows me to access that drive.
According to: Slashdot
Tivo has a password encryption/decryption scheme that is next to impossible to hack. I give it 2 weeks until some high-schooler has it all figured out and posted on the net.
Being that I now have my cool new wacom tablet working I was looking around for tools to create a new font. I thought it might be cool to create a font out of my handwriting. The consensus linux tool appears to be FontForge and I’ve messed around a bit with it but it isn’t turning out as easy as I might have hoped. Any other linux tools to create fonts from handwriting using a tablet?
Last week I posted about having issues with connecting, disconnecting and reconnecting my camera. Well, since that post my camera doesn’t work at all when connecting. There was a comment left asking me to file a bug report so yesterday I went through the process of filing a bug. The wiki had great info on how to file a bug on removable devices ( https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingRemovableDevices ) and I went through all of the exercises required to provide all of the pertinent info in my bug report. My bug can be viewed here:
I’m hoping to assist in any way in getting this resolved.
Oh, and by the way, after unloading and reloading USB support my Wacom tablet stopped responding correctly so I’m back to rebooting in attempt to resolve the camera issue.